Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Routine Yes

Oh - I haven't been posting. Thursday and Friday can be summed up by one word, "Overwhelmed." It's not a pretty word. Work just kicked my butt. Kicked it... With my parents here and work going absolutely crazy - it just caused me uber amounts of stress. This weekend was a little bit better. Tomorrow I head back into the chaos. At least I don't have to worry about my parents - and feeding them - and worrying about them being roped with the kids all day... Awful...

The kids start school tomorrow - I'm glad for the routine... But, honestly - I'm worried about work and school and meeting teachers.. Blah blah blah...

Today - I said yes to all my routine stuff... Going to the grocery store... etc.

However, I always get my kids new shoes for the first day of school. The last few days my 8 year old son has been an asshole. He can be the sweetest most adorable and wonderful kid. But, he can also act like satan spawn... The last few days he has just be SO MEAN to his sister (I'm sure it's an unconscious reaction to my stress level with work...) And after being warned REPEATEDLY on the way to the shoe store and told that he would not get new shoes if he kicked, pinched, poked, bullied his sister - we had to turn around after getting to the shoe store because he just pushed too far once too many times. As I was pulling out of the parking lot he kept saying, "I'll be nice now!!!" Sorry Charlie - I gave you that option when I told you to cut it out FIVE TIMES AGO!!!

So - I either said "NO" you cannot have new shoes. Or "YES" I will follow through and do what I say. And the kid needs to listen to his mom... His sister DID get new shoes - she wasn't being a major jerk.

After we got home, my son and I had a long talk about choices - and how HE makes the choices. And that much of what happens to him isn't other people's fault (he ALWAYS blames someone else.) He needs to learn that HE alone controls much of what happens to him. He was much sweeter the rest of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment